A large, firm variety of banana, plantains ripen from green to yellow skinned with a blander flavor and starchy texture to brown and black, with a sweeter, but still firm, flesh.
Total time: 15 Minutes - 6 Servings
- 4 very ripe(black) plantains, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Peel and cut plantains into quarters. Preheat oil in medium saucepan on medium 2-3 minutes.
- Add plantains 4 at a time; fry 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove, drain on paper towels, and season with salt, if desired.
- Calories(1/4 recipe) 280 kcal; Fat 8g; Chol 0mg; Sod 150mg; Carb 57g; Fib 4g; Pro 2g; Vit A 40%; Vit C50%; Calc 0% Iron 6%
OTHER PREPARATION METHODS:
- Grill: Brush plantain with olive oil, wrap whole plantains in aluminum foil grill over indirect heat 5-7 minutes on each side.