Recao/Culantro (Wide Coriander Leaf)
- PLU # 4508 (wrapped in #2 black foam tray)
- Recao is native to Latin America and the Caribbean and is related to cilantro. It has tall, stiff, serrated leaves with a prominent central ridge and a more penetrating aroma than cilantro. Recao is used extensively in Southeast Asia and parts of the Caribbean, especially Cuba and Puerto Rico. In Asia, recao is most popular in Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore.
- Culantro or Recao is use for Salads, soups, Stews, beans, also for Sofrito. Sofrito is a seasoning base used in Latin America; it is made from Recao, ajisito, onions and peppers. It has also been used in traditional medicine for burns, earache, fevers, hypertension, constipation, fits, asthma, stomachache, worms, infertility complications, snake bites, diarrhea, and malaria.
- Central America, South America, Asian, Caribbean especially Puerto Rican.
Country of origin
- Caribbean, Costa Rica
- Color – Must be well colored (Green)
- Cleanliness – Must be clean (no dirt, spotting, dust, or any other foreign material).
- Other – Can have no scarring, cracks, splits, or breaks, or mechanical damage.
- Defects – Yellowing of the leaves.
Display and storage
- Storage- 40-45 degrees
- Display- May be displayed in loose bundles or tray wrapped.
- Shelf life- 3-6 days