Plantain Ripe (Maduros, Platano Maduro)
- PLU #4235
- 35 CT or 65 CT/50Lb box
- Similar to the green plantain just sweeter and softer, because of ripening process. The plantains are treated in a ripening room to begin the process. Once they begin to ripen they should not be in refrigeration (same as a Banana). If it is exposed to cold it will stunt the ripening cycle. Ripe plantains should go from yellow to black.
- Green plantains WILL NOT ripen properly if left on the display.
- Ripe plantain can be boiled and fried. It will be one of the highest volume items in the tropical set.
- Central America, South America, Caribbean (Jamaican), Latin America (Colombia and Venezuela)
Country of origin
- Colombia, Central America
- Color – Yellow,
- Cleanliness – Must be clean (no dirt, spotting, dust, or any other foreign material).
- Other – Do not remove plantains from display, because of blackening on the first or second day, this is the natural process, this is the point when they are sweetest
- Customers generally purchase this product before it starts turning black
- Defects – Extreme Softness, or white Fungus, if left in the cold, it will turn black.
Display and storage
- Storage- 55+ degrees
- Display- Room temperature
- Shelf life- 3-6 day