Plantain Green (Platano Verde)
- PLU #4235
- 65ct / 50Lb box
- Plantains are fruits that are very similar to bananas, but are used for different culinary purposes. They are originally from Southeast Asia, but have become a staple food of Latin American countries in the Caribbean, Central, and South America. Plantains differ from regular bananas because of their firmness and sugar content and are used in a number of different traditional recipes around the world. Plantains are versatile because they taste different depending on the ripeness, when green it tastes salty, when yellow with black spots it tastes sweet and when black it tastes even sweeter. It is one of the highest Volume items in the Tropical category.
- Plantain can be fried, baked, or boiled.
- Central America especially Honduras and Nicaragua, South America, Caribbean especially Dominican Republic, Cuba and Puerto Rico, Latin America more specifically Colombia and Venezuela.
Country of origin
- Ecuador , Nicaragua, Colombia, Venezuela , Guatemala
- Color – Green
- Cleanliness – Must be clean (no dirt, spotting, dust, or any other foreign material).
- Other – Can have no scarring, cracks, splits, or breaks, or mechanical damage.
- This item is un-ripened, customers should choose when most green, before it starts turning yellow.
- Defects – turning yellow or black.
Display and storage
- Storage- 45-55 degrees
- Display- Room temperature
- Shelf life- 4-9 days