Cactus Leaf (Nopal)
- PLU #4558
- Cactus Leaves are available year-round with a peak in the mid-spring and the best season from early spring through late fall. Also called Edible Cactus and nopales, cactus leaves will have even and somewhat thick leaves. It has a soft but crunchy texture that also becomes a bit sticky when cooked. Tastes similar to a slightly tart green bean, asparagus, or green pepper. Contains beta carotene, iron, some B vitamins, and is a good source of both vitamin C and calcium. Coloring will be an even medium to dark green. Very small paddles may require more cleaning because their larger proportion of prickers and eyes.
- Sliced or chopped for salads or cooked like green beans.
- Mexico, North Africa.
Country of origin
- Color – Light Green
- Cleanliness – Must be clean (no dirt, spotting, dust, or any other foreign material).
- Other – Can have no scarring, cracks, splits, or breaks, or mechanical damage.
- Defects – Softness, black spots
- Always handle item from stem to avoid painful pricking.
Display and storage
- Storage- 35-45 degrees
- Display- Room temperature
- Shelf life- 5-7 days