Batata (Boniato, Camote, White Sweet Potato)
- PLU #4546
- Batata is in the family of the potato, and although they embody flavor more like that of the sweet potato, it is slightly less sweet and moist. Batata is available year-round.; as a side dish you can mash, bake, boil, fry or cream. Used in many Cuban recipes
- You can use this versatile sweet potato as you would any potato, usually as a side dish. Batata can be prepared fried, mashed, baked, boiled, or sautéed.
- Mexico, Central America, South America, especially Caribbean (Cuban and Puerto Rican), Asians, Africans.)
Country of origin
- Caribbean and South Florida
- Color – Skin ranges from pink to dark purple.
- Cleanliness – Must be clean (no dirt, spotting, dust, or any other foreign material).
- Other – Can have no scarring, cracks, splits, or breaks, or mechanical damage.
- Defects – Drying out, and Softness
Display and storage
- Storage- 35-45 degrees , dry environment
- Display- Room temperature
- Shelf life- 5-7 days